Mapping of Niagara’s cultural assets: The Niagara Culture Committee engaged in Cultural Asset Mapping beginning in 2007. Cultural assets were systematically recorded including cultural activities, traits, places, events and people. The first report listed Niagara’s cultural assets as: 117 cultural facilities; 171 not-for-profit arts and cultural organizations and educational providers; 405 for-profit sector cultural and heritage businesses and industries; 155 cultural festivals and events; 1,293 cultural sites; and 1,490 identified artists.
The Niagara Culture Plan 2007-2011, mapped the following 1,847 cultural assets in Niagara using the CRF (the Canadian Framework of Cultural Statistics approach and definitions adopted by Statistics Canada):
- 950 Creative cultural industries (cultural businesses and industries including graphic designers, book stores, all types of media, commercial theatres and galleries, photography studios, artist’s studios, architects, art supply shops, music stores, dance studios, movie theatres, web designers, recording studios, publishers, printing studios).
- 75 Community cultural organizations and not-for profit organizations (entries include theatre, music, aboriginal and ethno cultural organizations, literary and visual arts groups, historic and genealogical societies, municipal cultural and heritage committees, guilds and “Friends” associations, and cultural providers).
- 162 Festivals and events (aboriginal events, agricultural festivals and fairs, craft events, arts events, music festivals, ethno cultural festivals, special events and celebrations, interpretive programs, walks and tours and studio and garden tours).
- 166 Cultural spaces and facilities (libraries, museums, art galleries, theatres, archives, aboriginal centers, bars and clubs that provide live entertainment and non-traditional venues that regularly exhibit visual arts, theatre, music readings or film).
- 484 Cultural Heritage sites and assets (see next page)
- 10 Natural Heritage sites and assets (see next page)
Source: Niagara Cultural Plan, Niagara Region 2007-2011 p. 10
The Niagara Region Culture Committee Niagara Culture Plan, assets mapping and descriptions are available at: http://www.niagararegion.ca/government/committees/culture-committee.aspx