- The Niagara Regional Police Service (NRPS) patrols 1,850.9 square kilometres (714.6 square miles) and 161 kilometres of shoreline and 1,500 square kilometres of international water.Niagara is one of the largest areas policed by municipal police with a 2009 population of 442,908.
- Niagara has 5 border crossings (4 road; 1 rail) and an estimated 15 million tourists who visit per year.
- Average monthly calls for service were 10,133, 2005-2009. The highest demand months are June to September.
- The crime rate compared to other CMAs places Niagaraaround the 50th percentile.
- There is 1 police officer for every 651 residents in 2010 (165 per 100,000).
- Criminal Code violation numbers have steadily gone down inCanadaandOntariofrom 2003 to 2009
- The rate of Criminal Code violations for Niagara CMA is below Canada and the province generally over those years; it went up slightly in 2006.
- The incident crime-based rate for Niagara CMA and Canada has decreased between 2003 and 2009.
Source: Statistics Canada Adapted from CANSIM Table 252-0051